[Samba] Samba 4 DC backups

Brady, Mike mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Tue Sep 1 21:43:29 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-02 08:22, Mark Foley wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I thought I pretty much did the same thing as the backup script: backup
> ldb, do
> tar.  Also, I am stopping Samba for good measure, but I don't think I
> need to.
> What makes you say I'm doing the "exact opposite" of what the samba
> script does?
> Please explain, I want to be consistent with good practice.
>
> --Mark

Mark,

As I understand it the samba_backup script is using tdbbackup to create
a backup of each ldb file and then creates a tar of everything except
the running ldb files but including the ldb.bak files and the running
tdb  files (which is a no no).

 From what I understood from your previous email you are creating a
tdbbackup of the tdb files and creating a tar of the running ldb files,
except that you are actually shutting down the DC, so running tdbbackup
in your case really isn't necessary.

tdbbackup is really only necessary if you are trying to backup a running
DC.

But then maybe I am completely missing something.

Regards

Mike