[Samba] Samba 4 DC backups

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Sep 2 02:56:02 UTC 2015

Mike,

You are right.  In fact I initially removed the backup of the .ldb from my
script because the manpage says nothing about .ldb's, so I thought I must have
been mistaken including them.  I put the .ldb backup back in after seeing the
samba_backup script.

I do have a comment in my backup script saying if samba is not stopped, then
--exclude \*.ldb from the tar. Which, as you point out, I am currently not
doing.

For me, even a full backup takes only an hour and runs after midnight, so in the
case of a restore (which I've done!) it's worth saving a step not having to
verify/restore .ldb and .tdb files before starting samba.  Especially since in
the heat of a restore (usually associated with some urgency) I sometimes tend to
forget such details.

Also, I found the whole attr/acl thing much more of an issue since this wasn't
well documented anywhere.

I probably should have been more verbose in my reply. Sometimes, less is not more!

--Mark Foley