[Samba] Simple recipe for getting started with 4.2.0

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 30 19:45:34 MDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 18:33 -0400, 02019 wrote:
> I bought and used Using Samba, 2ed, O'Reilly & Associates (Feb. 2003) to
> help me with this 12 years ago, but I think there may be
> interoperability problems between 4.2.0 and 2.2.5 because
> smbclientv4.2.0 -L hostname2.2.5 -N errors out with:

For Samba4 the best - the very best - source of information is the Samba
project's wiki page.  Ignore all the other stuff, the wiki is the place
to go for Samba4 documentation.

Google is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT your friend.  Don't search, go to the
wiki.

As for interoperability between 2.2.5 and 4.2.0 - it is not likely to
work.  I doubt it would work well between 2.2.x and even 3.6.x;  to get
it to work you'd have to back off a bunch of the security related
defaults, I doubt it would be worth the trouble.