[Samba] Simple recipe for getting started with 4.2.0

02019 accounts at 02019.org
Tue Mar 31 07:55:04 MDT 2015

On 03/30/2015 09:45 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 18:33 -0400, 02019 wrote:
>> I bought and used Using Samba, 2ed, O'Reilly & Associates (Feb. 2003) to
>> help me with this 12 years ago, but I think there may be
>> interoperability problems between 4.2.0 and 2.2.5 because
>> smbclientv4.2.0 -L hostname2.2.5 -N errors out with:
>
> For Samba4 the best - the very best - source of information is the Samba
> project's wiki page.  Ignore all the other stuff, the wiki is the place
> to go for Samba4 documentation.

Thank you for you reply, but I'd like to configure my new samba4 server
with the very simplest configuration for anonymous login with read/write
access to everyone on my LAN initially.

Could someone perhaps post an incredibly simple smb.conf file that would
offer that kind of functionality?

I did look at the wiki, but all of the articles under
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_File_Server> (which seems
like the article that is closest to my needs initially) assume that this
kind of functionality already exists; whereas I don't have (even) that yet.

> As for interoperability between 2.2.5 and 4.2.0 - it is not likely to
> work.  I doubt it would work well between 2.2.x and even 3.6.x;  to get
> it to work you'd have to back off a bunch of the security related
> defaults, I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

I totally agree. I'm not trying to interoperate between v2 and v4. I was
just making an observation before in my original post.

Thanks.

-Kevin