[Samba] samba4.2.0 crashes on connection attempt with an internal samba error...

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 04:32:53 MDT 2015

On 29/03/15 22:23, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 29/03/15 15:48, Horst.venzke at remsnet.de , Horst Venzke ,Remsnet
> Consulting und Internet Services LTD, Niederlassung Deutschland wrote:
>> Hello Rowland
>>
>>> I tried something very very similar (but in english), it didn't work,
>>> what did work (and was a lot easier) was removing systemd.
>>>
>>> I tried to get systemd to work with samba, I really, really tried, I
>>> just couldn't make it work, I tried various things for a couple of
>>> hours
>>> and couldn't make it work, just 5 mins to remove systemd, and samba now
>>> works.
>>>
>> Do your dbus user session services work ?
>> I had some issues from that with cups and samba4 ads  on opensuse
>> 13.1 and up .. did ago bug reports .. +1 year ago back.
>>

>>> I know what I will be doing in future.
>>>
>> hehe .. yu'll kill systemd ? :-)
>> ... and blame its developers ?
>>

>>> Rowland
>>>
>> regards
>>

> OK, not really one to give up, I installed jessie in another VM and
> compiled samba 4.2 again and then tried to get samba & systemd to work
> together. I finally got systemd to start the samba daemons, OK what
> idiot decided that the program PIDs *MUST* go in /run ???? even though
> samba hardcodes them to go into /usr/local/samba/var/run.
>
> Rowland

OK, spoke too soon, started up the VM this morning and no samba, tried
to start samba, 'systemctl start nmb' ,'systemctl start smb'& 'systemctl
start winbind' ---- Nothing!!

To get samba to start, I had to run 'systemctl daemon-reload' and then
'systemctl start nmb', checked that nmbd was now running and as it was,
tried to start the other two. These didn't start, I had to run
'systemctl daemon-reload' before smbd would start and then again before
winbindd would start.

This is progress ?? I don't think so.

Rowland