[Samba] How to know which protocol version clients use?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Mar 18 03:05:28 MDT 2015

Hi im just wondering..

testparm -v | grep protocol
Why is on a domain member server the max protocol SMB3
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

        server max protocol = SMB3
        server min protocol = LANMAN1
        client max protocol = NT1
        client min protocol = CORE

And on a domain controlller
samba-tool testparm -v | grep protocol

        server max protocol = NT1
        server min protocol = CORE
        client max protocol = NT1
        client min protocol = CORE

I would think that the DC would use SMB3 also for Max protocol.
any reason this isnt.. man smb.conf did not help me here.

Greetz,

Louis