[Samba] Showing used SMB version on server side

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Tue Nov 18 14:51:52 MST 2014

I set my log files to include protocol versions:

        log file = /var/log/samba/log_%m_%a_%R

>From the man pages:

%m - netbios name
%a - machine architecture (note that MacOSX10.8 sometimes reports
"Samba", sometimes "OSX", 10.9 and 10.10 report "Vista")
%R - protocol level

Which results in logs like these:

log_wend-wiretap01_Samba_NT1
log_wend-wiretap01_Samba_UNKNOWN
log_wend-wiretap01_UNKNOWN_UNKNOWN
log_wend-wws98673_Vista_SMB2_10
log_wend-wws98741_Vista_SMB2_10
log_wend-wws98748_Vista_SMB2_10
log_workstation_CIFSFS_NT1
log_workstation_Vista_SMB2_10
log_workstation_Vista_SMB3_00

Often you'll see the same machine trying multiple protocols out, but
eventually the non-zero logs show a share connection.

-Dan

Dan Mons - R&D Sysadmin
Cutting Edge
http://cuttingedge.com.au