[Samba] How to know which protocol version clients use?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Mar 17 12:24:44 MDT 2015

Hello Heiner,

Am 17.03.2015 um 16:47 schrieb Heiner Billich:
> I currently run samba with
>
>    server min protocol = NT1
>
> but I need to move towards
>
>    server min protocol = SMB2
>
> is there any way I can detect which clients still use the older protocol
> versions? I would like to estimate the impact of the change before i do
> close NT1/SMB1.

The default is "server min protocol = LANMAN1". For what reason you need
to set this to SMB2?

What clients do you have in your network?

Ways to find out the SMB version used:

* Wireshark and Co.

* Powershell "Get-SmbConnection" cmdlet (on the client side)

* or the funny way, someone suggested a while ago here on the list:
  https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-November/186943.html

Regards,
Marc