[Samba] Domain controller in a chroot

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Tue Mar 17 05:04:02 MDT 2015

Le 17/03/2015 11:54, Sven Schwedas a écrit :
> Okay, let's recap:
>
> • Old hardware with low RAM and no VT-x/AMD-V support
>    (It's an x86 box with some Linux, right?)
> • You have an existing domain
> • And you want to add an DC on a second site to it
>
> Anything else you should have told us the first mail so nobody's time is
> wasted with suggestions that you already know beforehand to not work?
> E.g., already having evaluated winbind offline logon to attempt and
> solve this?
Well, if you carefully read the first email, you'll see a precise
question that asks for any special configuration to take in order to be
able to run two instances of samba on the same box using a chroot. No
question about "does this provide enhanced security", "is there any
other option", "is my hardware high enough", "is it a good idea to let
people work during a network outage", simply, "is it feasible/are there
any caveat"

According to documentation, winbind offline logon is only used with
pam_winbind, that why it has been left apart (moreover it won't be able
to let users not in cache to access files and there is no doc about
cache lifetime, size, etc.)