[Samba] [AD/PDC] Logins with Spaces do not work

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 2 15:34:05 MDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 08:41:16PM +0200, Andreas Happe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>      > (also if samba's goal is to replace a windows ad server it would be
>      nice if it
>      > would support the same usernames).
>
>      Yes I know, but Windows <> UNIX and the Samba goal is to bridge
>      the two. There are many scripts etc. that really don't like
>      usernames with spaces in them on UNIx.
>
> Then please warn users that they are using Samba in an unsupported way during
> conversion. Bonus points if an error message is logged that contains
> "username" and "blank".

So after chatting with Andrew, he pointed out that when
we're a member server we must cope with usernames containing
spaces in them as we don't get to chose the naming restrictions
at that point (although many of the '%' substitutions will
probably replace the ' ' with '_').

So we really should work in this case. Can you recap what
isn't working ?