[Samba] [AD/PDC] Logins with Spaces do not work

Andreas Happe andreashappe at snikt.net
Mon Jun 1 12:41:16 MDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> > (also if samba's goal is to replace a windows ad server it would be nice
> if it
> > would support the same usernames).
>
> Yes I know, but Windows <> UNIX and the Samba goal is to bridge
> the two. There are many scripts etc. that really don't like
> usernames with spaces in them on UNIx.

Then please warn users that they are using Samba in an unsupported way
during conversion. Bonus points if an error message is logged that contains
"username" and "blank".

If you point me to the right source files, I should be able to provide a
patch for that.

TBH that when an admin is sticking to the documentation, no error is
produced but things fail with an incomprehensible error message is making
me rather nervous when recommending samba.

cheers, Andreas
--
GPG-Key-Id: DD436203
Github:     https://github.com/andreashappe