[Samba] Next Problem: windows 10 as samba domain member

Roland Schwingel roland.schwingel at onevision.com
Fri Jul 10 07:36:39 UTC 2015

Good Morning Marc,

Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org> wrote on 09.07.2015 17:49:36:
 > Am 09.07.2015 um 14:35 schrieb Roland Schwingel:
 > > I got windows 10 pro build 10159 running in a vm. I added the 2 well
 > > known registry changes I always add to windows 7 also to windows 10. So
 > > far so good. I joined the machine to my samba 4.2.2 PDC. Heureka! It
 > > worked smoothly. Now I try to logon with a domain user. On the login
 > > screen I see the error message:
 > >
 > > There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request

 > I've renamed the old "Registry changes for NT4-style domains" page in
 > the wiki, because Win10 in an Samba NT4 domain requires also an smb.conf
 > setting. Otherwise you will stop at the "No logon servers available"
 > problem. To cover everything on one page, a page rename was required.
 >
 > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_settings_for_NT4-style_domains

This is great news. I can confirm that this is working here for me too.
After changing to max protocol NT1 I restarted samba on my PDC. But
immediately afterwards a domain logon from win10 was not possible. I
tried it twice (still the old error message) but than was interrupted by
a phone call. After the phone call (~2min) it worked without changing
anything.

Regarding the switch to NT1. This does not make me really happy. I tried
domain logons with win7 and 8.1 using a user with a profile containing
lots of small files. It takes longer on win7/8.1 to login/logout now.
Its about 1.5 times slower in my case. (My PDC
is also hosting the windows profiles.)

Is this going to be the permanent solution? Or is this just
intermediate? Has MS changed/extended something in smb2/3 that samba is
yet not aware of or is it maybe "just" a bug in sambas implementation?

Anyhow: I am glad that samba works now with windows 10. THANK YOU!

Roland