[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:17:07 UTC 2015

On 06/07/15 08:21, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 07/05/15 16:19, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> Did the smb.conf above work on samba 3.6 ?
>
> Absolutely! It's still working now.
>

>> I would have expected the ldap lines to be something like these:
> > ldap suffix="dc=ventu"
> > ldap admin dn="cn=root,dc=ventu"
>
> I have these.
>
> > ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
> > ldap user suffix = ou=users
> > ldap group suffix = ou=groups
>
> 3.6 works without these, why shouldn't 4.2?
> AFAIK, these can help performance, but with 3 PCs and 5 users they
> should practically make no difference.
> BTW, in my case "machines" is "computers".

OK, so you just have 'dc=ventu' and everything is stored in there ? well
it is your domain, but I wouldn't have set it up like that even with
only 3 PCs and 5 users, to be honest, I wouldn't have bothered with a
domain I would have gone with a workgroup, but hey as I said, it's your
domain.

>> ldap delete dn = no
>
> This is the default, so it should make no difference.
>
>> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
>
> "ldap://localhost" is the default (as per "man smb.conf"), so this
> should be equivalent to what I have.

No it isnt, the 127.0.0.1 == localhost I will give you, but:

passdb backend = ldapsam
idmap config * : backend=ldap:ldap://localhost

is not:
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
or
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost

What I would suggest, given your domain is so small, search the internet
for a fairly recent PDC howto and start again, but this time, please do
it right.

Rowland