[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Jul 6 17:06:06 UTC 2015

On 07/06/15 10:17, Rowland Penny wrote:

>> > ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
>> > ldap user suffix = ou=users
>> > ldap group suffix = ou=groups
>>
>> 3.6 works without these, why shouldn't 4.2?
>> AFAIK, these can help performance, but with 3 PCs and 5 users they
>> should practically make no difference.
>> BTW, in my case "machines" is "computers".
>
> OK, so you just have 'dc=ventu' and everything is stored in there ?

Yes, everything is under 'dc=ventu'; no, if you mean I don't have
ou=users, ou=groups, ou=computers.
As I said, I have those and in fact I modified my configuration as you
suggested.
What I was saying is just that searching an user in "dc=ventu" is almost
as fast as serching it in "ou=users,dc=ventu", given the small size of
my database.

> well
> it is your domain, but I wouldn't have set it up like that even with
> only 3 PCs and 5 users, to be honest, I wouldn't have bothered with a
> domain I would have gone with a workgroup, but hey as I said, it's your
> domain.

Right.
It's also my test domain, so I'm trying to upgrade this and be sure it
works and I know my ways, before I start upgrading bigger, more
important, production domains (where I'll possibly have more than a
hundred users and PCs, which cannot stop working for long).

> passdb backend = ldapsam
> idmap config * : backend=ldap:ldap://localhost
>
> is not:
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
> or
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost

I don't understand this, could you please explain why there are not the
same?
In any case, I tried your suggestion and it still didn't work.

> What I would suggest, given your domain is so small, search the internet
> for a fairly recent PDC howto and start again, but this time, please do
> it right.

See above.
While I could start from scratch with this domain in little time, it's
sort of a testbed for bigger domains which I could not easily rebuild.
So I need to figure what is wrong before I move to those.

  bye & Thanks
	av.