[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Jul 6 07:21:08 UTC 2015

On 07/05/15 16:19, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Did the smb.conf above work on samba 3.6 ?

Absolutely! It's still working now.

> I would have expected the ldap lines to be something like these:
 > ldap suffix="dc=ventu"
 > ldap admin dn="cn=root,dc=ventu"

I have these.

 > ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
 > ldap user suffix = ou=users
 > ldap group suffix = ou=groups

3.6 works without these, why shouldn't 4.2?
AFAIK, these can help performance, but with 3 PCs and 5 users they
should practically make no difference.
BTW, in my case "machines" is "computers".

> ldap delete dn = no

This is the default, so it should make no difference.

> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1

"ldap://localhost" is the default (as per "man smb.conf"), so this
should be equivalent to what I have.

In any case, I tried with those lines and they don't make any difference
either with 3.6 (still working) and 4.2 (still NOT working).

  Thanks
	av.