[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 11:04:00 UTC 2015

On 04/07/15 11:35, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I know this is half OS-specific: I already asked on freebsd-ports@,
> but got no answer so far...
>
> Since 3.6 has been EOLed I'd like to upgrade all my such Samba
> installations to 4.2.
> Right now I don't want to switch any of them to AD; I just want to
> keep running as I do now, but with a supported version.
>
> I've started from the simplest cases and so far I've been able to
> upgrade some servers with the following steps:
> _ stop Samba;
> _ uninstall samba36;
> _ install samba42;
> _ replace "samba_enable" with "samba_server_enable" in /etc/rc.conf;
> _ rename /usr/local/etc/smb.conf to /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf;
> _ move /usr/local/etc/samba/smbpasswd to /var/db/samba4/private;
> _ restart Samba.
>
> This worked on servers running on smbpasswd backend; however I'm now
> trying on a PDC which uses LDAP as backend and it's not that easy.
> I also moved /usr/local/etc/samba/schannel_store.tdb and
> /usr/local/etc/samba/secrets.tdb to /var/db/samba4/private, but still
> I had no luck.
>
> smbclient -L did not work anymore, neither did pam_winbind; so I had
> to go back to 3.6.
>

> Am I overseeing something obvious?
> Is there any howto for this?
> Does anything need to be done on the LDAP schema?
> Anything else?
>
>  bye & Thanks
>     av.

Hi, never used freebsd, but 4.2 is not just an AD DC, it is also
supposed to be a replacement for the old 3.6 series and work in the same
way. There are some changes to what can and cannot go into smb.conf, but
these are minor and can easily be identified by reading the smb.conf
manpage and the samba release notes.

Does anything start ?
Is there anything in the log files ?
what is your smb.conf ?