[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sun Jul 5 13:59:02 UTC 2015

On 07/04/15 13:04, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Hi, never used freebsd, but 4.2 is not just an AD DC, it is also
> supposed to be a replacement for the old 3.6 series and work in the same
> way.

That's what I'm trying to achieve.

> There are some changes to what can and cannot go into smb.conf, but
> these are minor and can easily be identified by reading the smb.conf
> manpage and the samba release notes.

I got some warnings about "idmap backend" being deprecated, but I think
I solved; also they only were warnings.

> Does anything start ?

Sure: two instances of nmbd, one of smbd and three of winbindd.

> Is there anything in the log files ?

Nothing special:
_ log.nmbd ends with "become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon
server for workgroup VENTU on subnet 10.1.2.13";
_ log.smbd complains about not being able to retrieve printer list, but
I'm not interested in printing;
_ log.winbindd says it's ready.

Also, sockets are open (port 137,138, 139 and 445) and there's a couple
of connections from smbd to slapd.

> what is your smb.conf ?

Here's my global section:
> [global]
>         log level=1
>         unix password sync=no
>         workgroup = VENTU
>         server string = SOTH
>         load printers=no
>         max log size=50000
>         security = user
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         interfaces = nfe0 10.1.2.13/24
>         local master = yes
>         os level = 255
>         domain master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         domain logons = yes
>         logon script=netlogon.cmd %U
>         wins support = yes
>         wins proxy = yes
>         dns proxy = no
>         ldap admin dn="cn=root,dc=ventu"
>         ldap ssl=off
>         ldap suffix="dc=ventu"
>         passdb backend = ldapsam
>         ea support=yes
>         map hidden=no
>         map system=no
>         map archive=no
>         idmap config * : backend=ldap:ldap://localhost
>         ldap idmap suffix="dc=ventu"
>         hosts allow = 127. 10.1.2.
>         name resolve order = wins
>         time server = no
>         map archive = No
>         hide dot files=no
>         lm announce=auto
>         logon path=
>         logon home=
>         unix extensions=no
>         mangled names=no
>         winbind use default domain=yes

"smbclient -U andrea -I 10.1.2.13 -L //soth" asks for a password, but
then dumps core (it doesn't matter if the given password is right or wrong).

"wbinfo -u" correctly retrieves the user list, but PAM authentication
(through pam_winbind.so) fails.

So you confirm there is nothing special I had to do, but didn't?
I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting time, before I compile with
debugging info, raise log levels, etc...

  bye & Thanks
	av.