[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.2 upgrade on FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sat Jul 4 10:35:49 UTC 2015

Hello.

I know this is half OS-specific: I already asked on freebsd-ports@, but
got no answer so far...

Since 3.6 has been EOLed I'd like to upgrade all my such Samba
installations to 4.2.
Right now I don't want to switch any of them to AD; I just want to keep
running as I do now, but with a supported version.

I've started from the simplest cases and so far I've been able to
upgrade some servers with the following steps:
_ stop Samba;
_ uninstall samba36;
_ install samba42;
_ replace "samba_enable" with "samba_server_enable" in /etc/rc.conf;
_ rename /usr/local/etc/smb.conf to /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf;
_ move /usr/local/etc/samba/smbpasswd to /var/db/samba4/private;
_ restart Samba.

This worked on servers running on smbpasswd backend; however I'm now
trying on a PDC which uses LDAP as backend and it's not that easy.
I also moved /usr/local/etc/samba/schannel_store.tdb and
/usr/local/etc/samba/secrets.tdb to /var/db/samba4/private, but still I
had no luck.

smbclient -L did not work anymore, neither did pam_winbind; so I had to

Am I overseeing something obvious?
Is there any howto for this?
Does anything need to be done on the LDAP schema?
Anything else?

  bye & Thanks
     av.