[Samba] Samba 4 dns-hostname

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 11:18:43 MST 2015

On 01/01/15 17:27, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Happy new year, too. :-)
>

> Am 01.01.2015 um 16:36 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> hostname on both DC's is in lowercase i.e. dc01 & dc02, when you
>> provision the domain, you are not asked for the hostname, the same goes
>> when you join the domain as a DC. Something in the join turns the
>> hostname into uppercase, which is correct I do not know, but I think
>> they both need to be the same, either both uppercase or both lowercase.
>>
>> I think I will have a look at the python scripts, I cannot write python,
>> but I can generally get the gist of what they are trying to do.
> If everything works, don't touch it.
>
> Maybe the join and the provision handless this different.

Well yes, but why ? shouldn't they both produce the same case ?

> Here I just
> looked in my test environment, where I often switch the DNS backend. If
> you switch from internal to BIND and the dns-hostname account doesn't
> exist, it will be re-created. So maybe that's the reason, why both are
> the same here :-)
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns_tkey_negotiategss:_TKEY_is_unacceptable#Check_for_existing_DNS-hostname_account
>
> In my example, on how to recreate the account, the hostname is generated
> in upper case there.
>
> You can simply try to rename it in AD to upper/lower case and see if DNS
> updates work (let me know). :-)

I was trying to change my dhcpd update script to use the user that is
provided when the the domain is provisioned/joined with the bind
backend. What I wanted to do was use the dns user for the DC that the
script was running on, simple 'wbinfo -u | grep [d]ns-`hostname -s`' but
it doesn't work for the second DC because the hostname is in uppercase.

Sigh, I will just have to work round it

Rowland