[Samba] Samba 4 dns-hostname

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Jan 1 10:27:23 MST 2015

Happy new year, too. :-)

Am 01.01.2015 um 16:36 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> hostname on both DC's is in lowercase i.e. dc01 & dc02, when you
> provision the domain, you are not asked for the hostname, the same goes
> when you join the domain as a DC. Something in the join turns the
> hostname into uppercase, which is correct I do not know, but I think
> they both need to be the same, either both uppercase or both lowercase.
>
> I think I will have a look at the python scripts, I cannot write python,
> but I can generally get the gist of what they are trying to do.

If everything works, don't touch it.

Maybe the join and the provision handless this different. Here I just
looked in my test environment, where I often switch the DNS backend. If
you switch from internal to BIND and the dns-hostname account doesn't
exist, it will be re-created. So maybe that's the reason, why both are
the same here :-)

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns_tkey_negotiategss:_TKEY_is_unacceptable#Check_for_existing_DNS-hostname_account

In my example, on how to recreate the account, the hostname is generated
in upper case there.

You can simply try to rename it in AD to upper/lower case and see if DNS
updates work (let me know). :-)

Regards,
Marc