[Samba] Samba 4 dns-hostname

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 08:36:56 MST 2015

On 01/01/15 14:53, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> Am 01.01.2015 um 15:19 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> OK, anybody know why, if you provision a domain with bind as the
>> backend, the dns users name is all lowercase, but if you join another
>> DC, the dns users name is partially in uppercase ?
>>
>> i.e. my first DC has a dns user called dns-dc01, my second DC has a dns
>> user called dns-DC02
> The hostname of both dns-* users here are in upper case:
> dns-DC1
> dns-DC2
>
> Maybe your hostname was in lower/upper case during the provisioning.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Hi Marc, happy new year.

hostname on both DC's is in lowercase i.e. dc01 & dc02, when you
provision the domain, you are not asked for the hostname, the same goes
when you join the domain as a DC. Something in the join turns the
hostname into uppercase, which is correct I do not know, but I think
they both need to be the same, either both uppercase or both lowercase.

I think I will have a look at the python scripts, I cannot write python,
but I can generally get the gist of what they are trying to do.

Rowland