[Samba] Windows 10 SysVol and GPO problems

thomas Thomas thomas at tlm.id.au
Wed Dec 30 23:29:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks for reading. I have recently started to try and get Windows 10 machines working with our Samba 4.3.3 domain controller and have run into a few issues with gpupdate /force

The error given by Windows is β€œThe processing of group policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain.com.au <smb://domain.com.au>” etc.

Its interesting because access is denied with the file path to sysvol as the domain but when the domain name of the server is used it works (β€œ\\voyager.domain.com.au <http://voyager.domain.com.au/>”). This is the domain name used by Windows 8.1 when running gpupdate /force

Another note is when navigating to Sysvol as Administrator I am denied access but if I used the machine domain name it works.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind Regards