[Samba] Functionality of Nmbd at Active Directory mode of Samba4 !

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sat Dec 5 14:18:00 UTC 2015

On 05 Dec 2015, at 14:43, CpServiceSPb . <cpservicespb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Obviously to you, the lack of network browsing is a big deal, to others,
>> it is just not that important.
> Not to me only, also to people whom I know of and to people whom know
> those people of. :))

I really don't see the need for browsing an AD DC. I prefer it does the job it's supposed to do well which means that the code should be appropriately streamlined. You can still use a different mode of Samba if all you need is to quickly share some files.

Even in a very small AD environment, you should implement a separate Samba member for file serving purposes. You might, like me, decide to do this in a virtual instance rather than adding a second machine. This allows you to be compliant with the AD concept and still do all on one machine which is perfectly fine for the home office.

What's more, if your office ever starts to grow and you decide a single server doesn't cut it anymore, you can always and easily move the virtual instance to a separate server with very little reconfiguration, and without touching the DC instance.

Viktor