[Samba] Functionality of Nmbd at Active Directory mode of Samba4 !

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:33:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

I can be wrong but I believe there is no nmbd when Samba is run in AD mode
because as AD is quiet structural in many company it must not fail. To not
fail each company will have to deploy enough infrastructure to avoid
failure. Once you started to deploy all these machines adding several
others machines to serve files do not seems to hard.

Another point is what kind of file sharing:
- If you serve files for Windows clients you may prefer to use winbind to
build system users for that file servers, for the files ACLs match Windows
attributes of users.
- if you serve ffiles for UNIX or Linux machine you don't need Samba, NFS
would do the job. But the users could come from AD, on these file servers
users would be created using SSSD or nslcd to be built using rfc2307
attributes.

On AD DC you need only two shares: sysvol + netlogon. Both are Windows
shares. Both will work perfectly once Winbind is configured on AD DC to
retrieve users from AD. I expect without Winbind configured sometimes Samba
won't be able to check users rights, but I can be wrong.

i could add that Samba is not yet multi-threaded so one task per process
and one task will be able to get 100% CPU on one and only one core at one
moment. To be able to use more physical CPU for the same task on the same
physical machine you could consider to use virtual machines. With virtual
machines you can have several Samba running inside different VMs on the
same physical CPU. So you can have more than only 100% of one CPU core used
for the same task on the same physical computer.

Now VM usage + split of file servers => no need of nmbd on AD DC. Nmbd will
be run on file servers which serve files for Windows computers.

That's just my own point of view, built according to own understanding of
Samba. That means I can be really far from the original "why" : )

Cheers,

mathias