[Samba] Functionality of Nmbd at Active Directory mode of Samba4 !

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:30:18 UTC 2015

On 01/12/15 13:09, CpServiceSPb . wrote:
> As I know runnig of Nmbd at Acitve Directory mode is quite unofficial now
> (but possible) .

There was some talk about stopping anybody being able to do this.

> I will not ask why it is not reccomded to run Nmbd within Samba4 started at
> AD mode.
> But if somebody can tell, you are wellcome.

If you run 'nmbd' with 'samba' i.e. on an AD DC, you are duplicating the
code in the 'nmb' component of the 'samba' deamon, this is definitely
not recommended. You could turn off 'nmb', but again this is not
recommended, the rest of the 'samba' deamon relies on 'nmb' not the
external 'nmbd'

Or to put it another way, if you are running 'nmbd' with an AD DC, I
would suggest you stop, sooner or later, you are going to have problems.

> But when nmb code implementation is planned to AD part ?
> That is when nmb functionnality adding to Samba4 acting as AD is planned ?
> To bring possibiity to use full-forced Neighborhood browsing at AD mode
> (with LMB/DMB roles for instance) .

Well probably not any time soon, (unless you are prepared to come up
with patches), this appears to be one of those things that would be nice
to have, but not at the top of the list. It also seems to be
disappearing from windows, so why waste valuable time doing something
that will possibly no longer be needed.

Rowland