[Samba] Functionality of Nmbd at Active Directory mode of Samba4 !

CpServiceSPb . cpservicespb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:19:42 UTC 2015

> If you run 'nmbd' with 'samba' i.e. on an AD DC, you are duplicating
the code in the 'nmb' component of the 'samba' deamon, this is definitely
> not recommended. You could turn off 'nmb', but again this is
not recommended, the rest of the 'samba' deamon relies on 'nmb' not the
> external 'nmbd' .

> Or to put it another way, if you are running 'nmbd' with an AD DC, I
would suggest you stop, sooner or later, you are going to have problems.
Unfortunatelly, may be you are right. :((
When I run Nmbd with Saba at AD mode, I don' t remember exactly now, but if
Nmbd started first and then Samba daemon, error was or vice versa.

> Well probably not any time soon, (unless you are prepared to come up with
patches), this appears to be one of those things that would be nice
> to have, but not at the top of the list. It also seems to be disappearing
from windows, so why waste valuable time doing something
> that will possibly no longer be needed.
It also seems to be disappearing from Windows - but hasn' t been
disappeared and i think will not be disappeared form quite long time.
More over many pc station are equipped Windows XP yet, not even Windows 7.
As following, it can be necessary for a quite long time.

>From mathias
> Now VM usage + split of file servers => no need of nmbd on AD DC. Nmbd
will be run on file servers which serve files for Windows computers.
> That's just my own point of view, built according to own understanding of
Samba. That means I can be really far from the original "why" : )

I know many people who has AD DC 2008R, even 2003R2  at working position.
And people who is connected to its DCs or servered by it very active uses
Windows analogue of nmb functionality (built-in in Windows of course) in
their LANs.
I will remember, that nmbd in addition makes server visible in Network
Neighborhood, in some points takes part of accessing to it by NetBios name
(additionally to IP) ,
maintains computers list for group, can acts as LMB and/or DMB that is in
general makes possible Neighborhood Browsing.
Quite a big function capacity in my oppinion.

And it is more comfortable to get AD DC with fully working Neignborhood
Browsing.
And some of them people (mentioned above) stopped to migrate their Windows
AD DCs to Samba4 one because of the reason - lack of discussion
functionality.
As following, I consider important working full nmb functional with AD DC
at Samba4.

May be I am wrong, but moving code from nmbd (s3) is necessary only to AD
DC nmb code part (s4) , of course with some editions.
But I may be wrong.

*Rowland, *can you point me to files from AD DC sources where nmb code is
presented ?

May be I will be able to start "process" of working under it. :))