[Samba] More on bind_dlz - documentation I have not found

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Aug 28 12:15:48 UTC 2015

In the shower this morning, I realized that samba's dlz is through its
ldap interface, probably through dhcp.  :)

All of that work researching how to set up a dlz database for naught.
This is NOT documented in either:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS
or
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD

I have not yet checked any ldap documentation on the wiki to see what it
says, but I suspect a dhcp lease results in an ldap update. Would a
lease expire remove that ldap info?

So no sql service needed on the DC.

Question though, on statically addressed file servers:  How to get them
into the dlz zone.

My tld is:                        htt
My samba dns zone is:  home.htt

I will have a master zone for htt, easy enough to setup as a flat zone
file.  Did it before.

The home.htt zone only seems to exist in ldap and bind_dlz provides
lookup answers by querying ldap.  How is the AD DC handled,
homebase.home.htt?  I do not see it in the /usr/share/samba/setup/named*
files.  Is it already in the ldap repository?

How do I add my file server, nevia.home.htt?  I could always add it to
the htt.zone file as:

nevia.home    IN    A    ......

Can I put cname entries into ldap:

repo.home.htt    IN    CNAME    nevia.home.htt.

Again, I COULD just put this into the htt.zone file.

Then there are MX records for home.htt  :)