[Samba] Meaning of user.DOSATTRIB

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Aug 26 07:07:06 UTC 2015

Hai,

This is al about samba ea ( extended attibutes ) support.

Samba can map attibutes in two ways:
Mapping DOS file attributes to UNIX permissions
Storing the DOS attributes in extended file attributes

The user.DOSATTRIB extended attribute contains a bit field indicating the state of each DOS attribute:
Read-Only = 0x1
Hidden    = 0x2
System    = 0x4
Archive   = 0x20

and in smb.conf related (below is enableing ea support)
ea support = yes
map hidden = no
map system = no
map archive = no
map readonly = no
store dos attributes = yes

and if you use mac osx also,
also add.
vfs objects = streams_xattr
oplocks = no

and you can do something like:
setfattr -n user.DOSATTRIB -v '"0x6"' desktop.ini
Note the escaping of the quotes in the value;
This is needed to force the extended attribute to contain a string instead of an integer.

(0x6 = hidden  + System )

and correct me if im wrong here.

Greetz,

Louis