[Samba] Meaning of user.DOSATTRIB

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Wed Aug 26 14:22:15 UTC 2015

OK, thanks, I've seen such an attribute correlation list elsewhere. So what does
the 65 character string mean?

user.DOSATTRIB=0sMHgyMAAAAwADAAAAEQAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPnD7jBHStABAAAAAAAAAAA=

Obviously this isn't a bunch of 0x1's and 0x2s bit fields (or are they?).

These attributes are from a file on the Redirected Folders directory hosted on
the Samba4 AD/DC. I believe the attributes are created by the Windows client
when files are created/modified (though I'm not sure about that). On the other
hand, I've only come across the bit-field documentation on the web, so maybe
these series of letters are a Samba thing.

What I'm looking to do is understand what they mean, if anything.

btw - the files for this user seem to have mostly the same attribute value
character sequence except it changes way down at the end where in this example
you have "PnD7jBHStAB". Don't know if that's meaningful.

Note also that doing getfattr from Linux on files from a mounted Windows C:
drive I get nothing at all, even on %USERNAME%\Application Data, which I would
think should have either 0x2 or 0x4.  So maybe these Redirected Folder file
DOSATTRIBs are a Samba thing?

--Mark