[Samba] Samba Upgrade (Downgrade?)

Sheldon Charles sheldoncharles73 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 06:01:14 MDT 2014

Marc,

Thanks for you quick and excellent response.  I have had no problems
running 4.2 but, since what was an experiment turned into an integral part
of our networking, I felt that I should go with a stable release.  I built
4.1.11 and did a make install over the 4.2 install.  Samba started up and
everything seemed to be fine.  DNS was working, folks were logging into
their computers, nothing scary in the logs, etc.  I tried to run ADUC and
it failed with an error that said I didn't have permission to connect to
the domain.  I checked the logs and didn't see anything obvious so I
stopped Samba, bumped the logging level to 3 and restarted it.  ADUC then
ran fine and has continued to do so.  If there is any interest in seeing if
removing the logging directive makes ADUC fail to run, I'd be happy to do
it.

I'm going to give the current server some time to make sure that it is
truly stable and performing correctly.  Once it is, I'll create a secondary
DC using the 4.2rc1 and let you know if there are any issues.

Thanks again for the fantastic support and software.

Sheldon