[Samba] Samba Upgrade (Downgrade?)

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Sep 9 11:37:32 MDT 2014

Hello Sheldon,

Am 09.09.2014 00:34, schrieb Sheldon Charles:
> Months ago when I I was looking into using Samba at the office, I made the
> mistake of using the 4.2 development branch instead of a stable release.  I
> have no idea what was going through my mind.  It's now months later and I
> would like to move our domain to the latest stable 4.1 release (and then
> move to new hardware).  Is it possible to do this?  Can it be as easy as
> building 4.1.XX and installing it over my current 4.2  or do I need to do
> something else?

I think, a downgrade should be possible. I haven't read about databases
changes. Maybe some libs are left from the 4.2 installation when you
install 4.1 over and you're getting errors or it wont start. Then you
can try to remove them.

But do you have any problems with your 4.2 git version? If not, then
keep it, until the final is released. 4.2rc1 is scheduled for Sept. 22.
The final version will maybe released about 2 month later.

But if you downgrade, make sure, you're having a working backup!

And if you stay at 4.2 or try release candidates, give feedback. We need
people testing the new version ;-)

Regards,
Marc