[Samba] Software installation by GPO ( success and fail )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Oct 15 03:25:53 MDT 2014

Hai, In a bit testing with software deployment through GPO.

Now i noticed te following. If i setup my software source somewhere on the sysvol share ( and probely any other share on the DC)
then i can deploy the software with computer and user GPO setting. Aka works ok good all settings with software deployment.

Now i noticed the following.
I did setup a share on a member server the AD Domain, i did setup the same rights as the sysvol share used.
Now deployment with GPO does not work any more.
Not as user policy or computer policy works if i want to install before logon or after login.
The message in event logs:
( translated ) failed to install the error is %%1612 error 1612 tels me unable to access the source.

( aka looks like the machine is unable to get to the software. ) But im 100% sure the computer can access this,
why does it work on sysvol and not on a member server with exact the same rights on share, folder and files.

So im wonders who is installing software through GPO objects as machine/user policy from a member server.
And where it works, because i cant find where this is going wrong.

Thanks Louis