[Samba] Software installation by GPO ( success and fail )

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Wed Oct 15 04:21:19 MDT 2014

Hi Louis,

> Hai, In a bit testing with software deployment through GPO.
>
> Now i noticed te following. If i setup my software source somewhere on the sysvol share ( and probely any other share on the DC)
> then i can deploy the software with computer and user GPO setting. Aka works ok good all settings with software deployment.
>
> Now i noticed the following.
> I did setup a share on a member server the AD Domain, i did setup the same rights as the sysvol share used.
> Now deployment with GPO does not work any more.
> Not as user policy or computer policy works if i want to install before logon or after login.
> The message in event logs:
> ( translated ) failed to install the error is %%1612 error 1612 tels me unable to access the source.
>
> ( aka looks like the machine is unable to get to the software. ) But im 100% sure the computer can access this,
> why does it work on sysvol and not on a member server with exact the same rights on share, folder and files.
>
> So im wonders who is installing software through GPO objects as machine/user policy from a member server.
> And where it works, because i cant find where this is going wrong.

The computer gpo use the machine account to connect to the share. You
can try to simulate a connexion through localsystem account using psexec
[1] with the following command [2] :
  psexec -i -s cmd.exe

a new cmd.exe windows will open running as localsystem account and then
you can try to connect to the share where your software setup files are
located
  net use f: \\myserver\myshare

However IMHO, group policies are not a proper solution for software
deployment (and MS would also advise you to use SCCM for that purpose).
We developped an opensource solution for that purpose similar to apt-get
[3]. Don't hesitates to ask me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
[2]