[Samba] Wrong charset on NTFS volumes (ext4 works fine)

Daniel Carrasco Marín d.carrasco at ttu.es
Wed Nov 19 03:11:15 MST 2014

El 18/11/14 a las 21:23, steve escribió:
> On 18/11/14 20:51, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> Strange. Never tried on an all Spanish box but try with:
>>> -olocale=en_US.UTF8
>>> Si todavía no te va, pues dímelo y lo probaré todo en es_ES.
>>> Salu2,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> hace ntfs-3g --help show iocharset
>>
> Hi
> Yeah. locale. A real pain if your language is not English. Even worse
> if you need a combination.
> To force the mount, I think these days we need:
> locale=
> Just one other thing that comes to mind from many moons ago when we
> had a wg was with the Spanish keyboard on windows, e.g. pressing the Ñ
> without the shift lock was not the same as Alt0241 even though both
> appeared on screen as ñ, only the latter was sent to the printer
> correctly. We still have a dog-eared piece of paper on the notices board:
> á    ALT0225
> é    ALT0233
> í    ALT0237
> ó    ALT0243
> ú    ALT0250
> ñ    ALT0241
> ü    ALT0252
> But don't trust that. I'm sure it's changed several times since then.
> Oh, and you couldn't have ñ in a filename or login name over samba as
> I remember too.
> HTH and do forgive the nostalgia,
> Steve

Hi again, the problem is near to be fixed.

The problem was (of course) charset conf in global.

In global i had:
dos charset = 850
unix charset = ISO8859-1

And I've changed for:
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8
display charset = UTF-8

and now is working fine in Windows and Linux explorers without problem,
but i've seen that others shares have charset problems now...

Is there any way to set the charset for every share instead global?

Greetings!!

Daniel Carrasco Marín

Técnicas Territoriales y Urbanas, S.L.
C/ Zurbano 92, 2º, 28003 Madrid
Tfno.: +34 91 571 93 46 (ext. 148) # Fax: +34 91 571 58 72