[Samba] Wrong charset on NTFS volumes (ext4 works fine)

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Nov 18 13:23:15 MST 2014

On 18/11/14 20:51, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 18/11/14 19:39, steve wrote:

>>> Hi, are you sure that your 'ntfs-3g' has the option 'iocharset=' , I
>>> checked the version on my laptop and it doesn't show either with
>>> 'ntfs-3g --help' or 'man ntfs-3g'
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Hi
>> Strange. Never tried on an all Spanish box but try with:
>> -olocale=en_US.UTF8
>> Si todavía no te va, pues dímelo y lo probaré todo en es_ES.
>> Salu2,
>> Steve
>>
> hace ntfs-3g --help show iocharset

Hi
Yeah. locale. A real pain if your language is not English. Even worse if
you need a combination.
To force the mount, I think these days we need:
locale=
Just one other thing that comes to mind from many moons ago when we had
a wg was with the Spanish keyboard on windows, e.g. pressing the Ñ
without the shift lock was not the same as Alt0241 even though both
appeared on screen as ñ, only the latter was sent to the printer
correctly. We still have a dog-eared piece of paper on the notices board:
á	ALT0225
é	ALT0233
í	ALT0237
ó	ALT0243
ú	ALT0250
ñ	ALT0241
ü	ALT0252
But don't trust that. I'm sure it's changed several times since then.
Oh, and you couldn't have ñ in a filename or login name over samba as I
remember too.
HTH and do forgive the nostalgia,
Steve