[Samba] centos 5.11 samba3.6.23-6.el5 odd user behaviour

peter lawrie peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 06:41:34 MST 2014

Hi
Centos linux 5.11 server with samba3.6.23-6.el5 with workgroup (not domain)
This system has been running for four years with no real issues.
There are 9 xp clients all within the workgroup, rather than connected to
the domain.
The server is used for windows shares and for openwebmail
This week I had a problem with the draytek 2820 adsl router.
I had to reset it and update to the latest 2014 firmware. - the router does
dhcp and dns, not the server.
After reconnecting, for some reason two of the users could no longer
connect to the server with their usual login and password. The others are
fine.
I tried smbpasswd -a and -e to reset passwords and enable the user
This made no difference.
Each workstation has the users normal login and password which matches the
samba login names.
I created new logins for these two, so instead of brian, I created brian2
with the same password.
I did not want to mess with the local profile, so now, he logs in as brian,
then clicks on each of the shares in windows explorer and enters brian2, -
then everything is fine (until he restarts of course)
I cannot see anything wrong with the users on samba and nothing was done to
the server (apart from a restart) after updating the router.
Before I start messing around with the samba, is there any obvious reason
for this?
smb.conf attached
Peter Lawrie