[Samba] winbind on server have different UIDs on each Member Server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 08:54:47 MDT 2014

On 30/05/14 15:15, William Antonin wrote:

> >OK, first the Server, to change '/bin/false' to '/bin/bash' , add
> 'template shell = /bin/bash' to smb.conf, you can also change the
> users home directory by adding 'template homedir' , for this see 'man
> smb.conf'
> >On the client, it is a bit different
> Why they are differente? I'm choqued by the winbind's comportement.

If you are running samba4 as a AD DC, you using the samba daemon and
winbind is built into this daemon, only problem is that it doesn't do as
much as the standalone winbind daemon you would run on a member server.
The main difference is that it only pulls the users uidNumber &
gidNumber from AD, it ignores the loginShell & unixHomeDirectory
attributes, this is why it is better at the present, to not use the AD
DC as a fileserver, you can use it, but you must work around the problems.

Rowland