[Samba] SMB_COM_QUERY_INFORMATION_DISK deprecation effects

Fri May 30 08:04:03 MDT 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:46:12PM +0000, Tompkins, Michael wrote:
> One of our customers uses EMC SAN disks.   Newer EMC
> software no longer supports the
> SMB_COM_QUERY_INFORMATION_DISK  command. It was deprecated
> by Microsoft.
>
> Our SMB scanning no longer works from earlier devices
> running smbclient 3.0.37.
>
> EMC is going to re-enable the command for a few months but
> they want us to move to newer commands.
>
> Is this actually deprecated in the SMB world ?
>
> Can someone tell me what the status of this command is ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee442049.aspx

says that

> This is an original Core Protocol command. This command is
> deprecated. New client implementations SHOULD use the
> SMB_COM_TRANSACTION2 command along with a subcommand of
> TRANS2_QUERY_FS_INFORMATION.

Even latest smbclient uses this in quite a few commands. As
msdn points out, this would be trivial to replace with
different calls. What is the exact error message the EMC SAN
disk gives you?

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de