[Samba] Totally missing the mark here

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue May 27 09:06:31 MDT 2014

On 5/27/2014 10:29 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 27/05/14 15:04, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> You are starting to confuse me now ;-)
>>> I thought that you were using the sernet packages, but from the
>>> above command it would seem that you have compiled samba4 yourself.
>> How would the sernet packages differ from the compiled version?
>> Doesn't it give me mostly the same executables?
>
> Well yes, but they will be found in different places, take samba-tool
> for instance, with sernet it will be in /usr/bin , but if you compile
> samba4 yourself it will be found in /usr/local/samba/bin
>

>>> I personally always pass all the info at once i.e.
>>> samba-tool domain provision --realm=example.com --domain=EXAMPLE
>>> --adminpass=P4ssw0rd* --use-rfc2307 --server-role='dc'
>>>
>>> Your realm is usually the same as your DNS domain name and the
>>> domain should be the first part of your realm but in UPPERCASE ;-)
>>
>> OK, I'm almost certain what I used for the interactive answers were
>> not correct. How would I start over?
>>
> I would suggest that you first of all create a VM to practise in (you
> can take snapshots of this) , then decide whether to go with the
> sernet packages, use the backport packages (if using wheezy) or
> compile samba yourself, once you make your decision, stick with it.
>
>> Regardless of how bad the "Using Samba" book might be for a Samba 4
>> implementation, it does provide very good information about what
>> Domains are and how they are viewed (at least for me, the Windows
>> Domain idiot). I don't mean to argue.
>>
> The only problem with that argument (for want of a better word) is
> that there are two types of domains, NT4 and AD, Samba4 can do both,
> but you really should be aiming for an AD domain and there is a lot of
> better info out there in the internet, than what you will find in that
> book.
>
>> I feel sort of guilty for using the list as a learning tool. There
>> just isn't much out there other places.
>
> Do not feel guilty, we ALL had to start somewhere and as far as I am
> concerned we should help others as far as we can. As for finding
> information on the internet, I suspect that you are not using the
> right search terms, try using 'active directory' or 'AD' instead of
> 'samba' or 'samba4'.
>
> Rowland
>

>>> NOTE TO MARC:
>>> This really should be in the wiki, not just telling people to do it
>>> interactively, especially if you are not going to show the questions
>>> that will be asked. Would you like me to re-write that section and
>>> send it to you ?

>>> Please take that copy of 'using Samba' and get rid of it ;-) Just
>>> refer to the wiki and ask questions here.

>>> Could be.
>>>
>> steve

So while we were talking, the Windows guy decided he wanted to try
something different. He found some instructions using configure/make and
was trying to do that. I stopped him before doing so.

Upon trying to remove sernet and then update sernet, we discovered that
some of the packages are being updated, and we couldn't do either remove
or update the packages.

So I removed the individual packages (as opposed to all the packages as
a wildcard). We are now installing from the git directories. He's a
little concerned because he's not a Linux guy and I'm only going to be
around for a few months, and packages are just so easy for a new guy.

I'll inform you of our progress.

I hadn't considered the AD-vs-NT4 domains. Glad you mentioned that. And
thanks for the understanding and patience.

steve