[Samba] Totally missing the mark here

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue May 27 08:29:02 MDT 2014

On 27/05/14 15:04, Steve Campbell wrote:
> <snip>
>> You are starting to confuse me now ;-)
>> I thought that you were using the sernet packages, but from the above
>> command it would seem that you have compiled samba4 yourself.
> How would the sernet packages differ from the compiled version?
> Doesn't it give me mostly the same executables?

Well yes, but they will be found in different places, take samba-tool
for instance, with sernet it will be in /usr/bin , but if you compile
samba4 yourself it will be found in /usr/local/samba/bin

>> I personally always pass all the info at once i.e.
>> samba-tool domain provision --realm=example.com --domain=EXAMPLE
>> --adminpass=P4ssw0rd* --use-rfc2307 --server-role='dc'
>>
>> Your realm is usually the same as your DNS domain name and the domain
>> should be the first part of your realm but in UPPERCASE ;-)
>
> OK, I'm almost certain what I used for the interactive answers were
> not correct. How would I start over?

I would suggest that you first of all create a VM to practise in (you
can take snapshots of this) , then decide whether to go with the sernet
packages, use the backport packages (if using wheezy) or compile samba
yourself, once you make your decision, stick with it.

> Regardless of how bad the "Using Samba" book might be for a Samba 4
> implementation, it does provide very good information about what
> Domains are and how they are viewed (at least for me, the Windows
> Domain idiot). I don't mean to argue.

The only problem with that argument (for want of a better word) is that
there are two types of domains, NT4 and AD, Samba4 can do both, but you
really should be aiming for an AD domain and there is a lot of better
info out there in the internet, than what you will find in that book.

> I feel sort of guilty for using the list as a learning tool. There
> just isn't much out there other places.

Do not feel guilty, we ALL had to start somewhere and as far as I am
concerned we should help others as far as we can. As for finding
information on the internet, I suspect that you are not using the right
search terms, try using 'active directory' or 'AD' instead of 'samba' or
'samba4'.

Rowland