[Samba] SysVol questions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 22 09:28:45 MDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 11:06 AM, Stéphane PURNELLE wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Do these volumes have to be on the same partition?
>> Can each volume be a separate partition?
>> Do these  reside under the SysVol partition or can they be anywhere?
> Sysvol is a particular share used when you want to use samba as a Active
> Directory Domain Controler.
>
> this share must not contain data (your volumes).
I finally got that through my head. Sysvol must be on a dedicated machine.

> a volume can be a partition or a directory into a partition.
> it's depend how you want to manage your server.
A volume is just a share, correct? Are we speaking about the same thing
here?

> What netware version have you ?
Netware 6.5 SP1. (Don't laugh, we use things around here until the bits
and bytes are completely worn out). We are gradually phasing out Quark
4.0 as our pagination system, along with these Netware Volumes. Can't
help it if my company is thrifty (another word for cheap). I have to
work with these constraints.

steve