[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Petros Petros.Listig at fdrive.com.au
Sun Mar 2 19:49:08 MST 2014

Quoting "Marc Muehlfeld" <samba at marc-muehlfeld.de>
> To: "Tony Hain" <tony at tndh.net>, samba at lists.samba.org
>
>> In general there is a lack of documentation about how to turn off services
>> that are not wanted on this instance, or if it does exist, it is not easily
>> found.
>
> What services do you want to turn off?

After provisioning a DC I have:

server services = rpc, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind,
ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb

It is hard to find information about them, which are responsible for
what, which network ports they open etc.

It feels as browsing through a Windows Services list and guessing: "Do
I need this one?"

On a FreeBSD server I disabled nbt to get it working. Will it cause
problems later on? I cannot say.

There are still Unix admins who like manpages describing every
parameter, and knowing the background well. That gives them the power
to run the services effectively. Google and guessing isn't have as
good;-)

It makes nervous.. If I install a NFS server, LDAP, Kerberos and a DNS
server I know _exactly_ what they are doing. If I install Samba, it
may work. I have seen the same setup working in the lab - but not in
the "wild" facing a customer. There I need to debug it again..

I can imagine some of the problems resulting from re-engineering a
Windows "BLOB" ;-) The Samba team is helful, the list is helpful, the
Wiki is and other stuff.

So please do not get frustrated.

It is just an explanation what would be "nice to know".

Honestly, I do not know enough about Windows inner workings. I am a
Unix admin providing some services to Windows networks. I just wonder
sometimes how many Windows admins know more;-) [duck]

BTW: Is there a good book describing _how_ Windows networks are
working these days? An updated "Samba-3 by example" book (apdated to
Samba-4) in the making?

Thanks
Peter