[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Mar 3 00:13:25 MST 2014

Hello Petros,

Am 03.03.2014 03:49, schrieb Petros:
>> What services do you want to turn off?
>
> After provisioning a DC I have:
>
> server services = rpc, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind,
> ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb
>
> It is hard to find information about them, which are responsible for
> what, which network ports they open etc.
>
> It feels as browsing through a Windows Services list and guessing: "Do I
> need this one?"
>
> On a FreeBSD server I disabled nbt to get it working. Will it cause
> problems later on? I cannot say.

You are right. This is currently not documented. I'll try to do some
researches about it and see what I can do.

Maybe one of the developers can take a little time for an IRC session
for giving me some key points and details about the different services
and I'll try to create a HowTo about it.

> Google and guessing isn't have as good;-)

I totaly agree.

> It makes nervous.. If I install a NFS server, LDAP, Kerberos and a DNS
> server I know _exactly_ what they are doing. If I install Samba, it may
> work. I have seen the same setup working in the lab - but not in the
> "wild" facing a customer. There I need to debug it again..

 > Honestly, I do not know enough about Windows inner workings. I am a
 > Unix admin providing some services to Windows networks. I just wonder
 > sometimes how many Windows admins know more;-) [duck]

I think the biggest problems for most linux admins like you and me is,
that we haven't used Windows servers and AD yet and don't know the
backgrounds.

I currently read different books about Windows Servers. And last
december I was at 4-day workshop about "AD Best practice", where I was
the first and only participant, who never used a Windows server and
maybe never will :-) But it was very useful to understand how things
work in the MS Server world.

But of course many things in the Samba documentation are still missing.

> I can imagine some of the problems resulting from re-engineering a
> Windows "BLOB" ;-) The Samba team is helful, the list is helpful, the
> Wiki is and other stuff.
>
> So please do not get frustrated.
>
> It is just an explanation what would be "nice to know".

No. I don't get frustrated. It's a challenge. :-) And whenever I have
time I try to expand the Wiki documentation. But any help is desirable. :-)

But it's good to get detailed feedback what the users are missing. Then
we can try to make it better. And it's always good if solutions are
posted to the list (even if not asked here). Just for documentation. I
always look for requests and solutions to increase the Wiki.

Regards,
Marc