[Samba] reverse dns not updated

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 19:17:09 MST 2014

Historically, in a lot of environments, reverse DNS is a nightmare
becuase of multiple A records for single IP addresses, and components
that are not in the core Samba or AD or whatever management system,
but exist nonetheless. This includes gateways, printers, netmasks,
load balancers, firewalls, and all other sorts of debris.

Wherever feasible, I've used systems like Samba for the forward DNS,
and sools like "mkrdns" to generate and update the reverse DNS, then
put the whole thing under some source control system, like git or
Subversion where they can publish the updates to a master server so
changes can be tracked.