[Samba] Manage unix users from AD

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jan 29 04:05:36 MST 2014

Hi Márcio,

On 2014-01-28 at 09:22 -0200, Márcio Merlone wrote:

> I understand Samba team will always recommend winbind over others, but
> get the difference:
>
> a - Samba team does not recommend other solutions.
> b - Samba team recommend not using other solutions.
>
> I believe (a) is true, which does not disregard others.

Of course (a). We simply don't actively recommend
using a substitute of our own component.

(But never say never... There might in theory be
 conrner cases where this might happen.)

And we certainly DO NOT recommend not to use other
solutions. I'd even say that testing / comparing
other solutions or possible alternatives is highly
welcome, especially if this results in technical
comparison matrices. If we learn what our users
would like in winbindd (or any other component),
we have a chance to react...

Cheers - Michael