[Samba] directory checksum error during tar extract

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Tue Feb 25 18:23:49 MST 2014

> Hello,
>
>           On a Sun Solaris system running Solaris 2.6 to upgrade
> from Samba  2.0.6:
>
>           I am trying to 'tar xnvf Samba-4.1.5.tar' (un zipped from Samba
> file version 4.1.5) downloaded yesterday.  I keep getting  a "tar: directory
> checksum error" when I reach the line "x samba-4.1.5/codepages/lowcase.dat,
> 131072 bytes, 128k".
>
>           Please help!  Thank you.
>
> Steve Thompson, Information Systems Manager
>
> Electronic Tele-Communications, Inc.
>
> (770) 921-7466   email: steve at etcia.com

The Solaris tar will not work. The GNU tar will work. I ran into this on
quite a lot of different software packages, not just Samba. Solaris 10
comes with a version of gtar. I don't know just when they started to include
it, but it is not on Solaris 8. Long ago I downloaded the source for GNU tar
and built it, probably back when we were running Solaris 2.5.1.

All that said, I have sucessfully built a working Samba 4.1.5 on Solaris 10
but have not yet gotten it to work on Solaris 8. The build runs to completion
but the result does not work. There are quite a lot of functions that
Solaris 8 does not have and I expect that I will eventually find out which
one is needed.

We are currently sucessfully running Samba 3.6.22 on Solaris 8. I never
tried any of the Samba 4.0.* versions. You will need gtar to untar
Samba 3.6.22 also.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com