[Samba] Samba embedded device?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 9 18:54:29 MST 2014

On 12/01/2014 08:55 PM, George wrote:
> Hi team!
>
> At work I have several small branch offices with ~5 PCs each. All PCs are
> member of a Samba4 domain, whose DCs are on the headquarters (linked by
> consumer grade VPNs)
>
> I want to ship "some small, cheap, reliable and magical device" to each
> branch, in order to provide just 2 things:
> * AD replication
> * File shares
>
> That't it, period. Nothing fancy.
>
> Suggestions??? What do you use for this purpose??

I am a low-level user, and have been running an HP SFF with a 1TB sata
drive and 1TB USB backup drive with ClearOS.  I am moving off this.  I
have committed to ARM platforms for the power savings.  At this point I
don't know at all about the performance.  I AM running my mailserver
(Redsleeve6/Postfix/mysql/spammassasin/clamav/amavis) on a Cubietruck
and it seems to be handling my mail load.

The Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck both use the Allwinner A20 (1Gb mem/100Mb
lan vs 2Gb mem/1Gb lan).  Both have sata.  The Wandboard quad is $40
more than the CT, but a quad cpu (vs duo).

A number of linuxes are available for the various armv7 boards.  The
armv8s (64bit) are now coming out, but still pricey for my budget.

But going from 70-90w with the SFF to 2-3w for the arm system is VERY
attractive.

If you REALLY want a Samba appliance you really have to focus on ARM.
(IMHO).