[Samba] SOLVED Re: Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Aug 26 22:03:40 MDT 2014

On 26/08/14 06:48 PM, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> Re: [Samba] SOLVED Re: Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain
> controller
>

> *GD> On 26/08/14 05:56 PM, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> >> Re: [Samba] Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller

> connecting
> being

> >> domain
> >> contact the
> change to
> >> when I
> process.

> >> connect to

> suggests

> local

> server,

> could

> manual
> >> connections).

> workstations get
> router's
> seems to

> are 8
> logins.

> >> *Active directory is completely dependent on DNS.
> >> [i.e. Nothing works, at least properly, without a proper DNS.]
>
> >> To do a domain join, it looks up the FQDN you supply to know which AD
> >> domain to join. [Short netbios names get around this, because they can
> >> get resolved without DNS.]
>
> >> For AD, the DHCP server should hand out the IP of the AD server(s) as
> >> what stations should use for DNS.
>
> >> The server can have a "forward" address where it will forward DNS
> >> queries that it doesn't know the answers to. [Namely, anything outside
> >> the AD domain.]
>
> >> So, in your situation, I suppose the following would work. (Though
> >> it's not optimal.)
>
> >> Stations get DHCP addresses and for DNS they point to the AD server.
> >> The AD Server is configured to look to the DLink router for any DNS
> >> addresses it doesn't know the answer to.
> >> [And then the router will go to whatever it's configured as for it's
> >> DNS queries.]
>
> >> (So probably omitting the router as a DNS source would be a good
> >> thing, even though it technically works.)
>
> >> If that isn't configured, then when you do any _non_ NETBIOS lookups,
> >> that involve the AD Domain, who the heck is going to provide the
> >> answers? Comcast, or OpenDNS isn't going to know about your internal
> >> AD server DNS information - the only thing(s) that knows that data is
> >> the AD servers themselves.
>
> >> HTH
>
> >> -Greg
> GD> OK Greg, got it. I set up an lmhosts file on the flaky workstation to
> GD> point to the PDC (looks like this):
> GD> 192.168.1.17    servername#20
> GD> 192.168.1.17    servername#1b
>
> GD> which apparently tells Windows that the machine is a domain controller
> GD> (the second line - the first tells windows it is a workstation). I was
> GD> then able to re-add it to the domain, reboot and everything is
> working.
>
> GD> I never needed this before, so I'm not sure why it is needed now, but
> GD> for now, its running.

> [...]
Agreed. I've already done another change in the name resolve order that
seems to have obviated the need for the lmhosts file. Not sure how that
worked, but it is letting me login using domain accounts and so far
hasn't shown any other side effects.

The other machines continue to operate normally, so I think the major
name resolve problems were limited to this one machine. The one minor
issue is that I can't ping the domain name from the other machines.