[Samba] SOLVED Re: Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Aug 26 16:48:12 MDT 2014

GD> On 26/08/14 05:56 PM, Gregory Sloop wrote:
>> Re: [Samba] Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller

>> domain
>> contact the
>> when I

>> connect to

>> connections).

>> GD> Except I'm running Samba 3.6.6 (Debian/Wheezy). The workstations get
>> GD> their DNS from whatever DHCP hands out, which should be the router's
>> GD> address. The router points to the Samba server for WINS. This seems to
>> GD> be working to the extent that I can ping machines by name.

>> GD> It's been almost 8 hours and so far it's just the one machine.

>> *Active directory is completely dependent on DNS.
>> [i.e. Nothing works, at least properly, without a proper DNS.]

>> To do a domain join, it looks up the FQDN you supply to know which AD
>> domain to join. [Short netbios names get around this, because they can
>> get resolved without DNS.]

>> For AD, the DHCP server should hand out the IP of the AD server(s) as
>> what stations should use for DNS.

>> The server can have a "forward" address where it will forward DNS
>> queries that it doesn't know the answers to. [Namely, anything outside
>> the AD domain.]

>> So, in your situation, I suppose the following would work. (Though
>> it's not optimal.)

>> Stations get DHCP addresses and for DNS they point to the AD server.
>> The AD Server is configured to look to the DLink router for any DNS
>> addresses it doesn't know the answer to.
>> [And then the router will go to whatever it's configured as for it's
>> DNS queries.]

>> (So probably omitting the router as a DNS source would be a good
>> thing, even though it technically works.)

>> If that isn't configured, then when you do any _non_ NETBIOS lookups,
>> that involve the AD Domain, who the heck is going to provide the
>> answers? Comcast, or OpenDNS isn't going to know about your internal
>> AD server DNS information - the only thing(s) that knows that data is
>> the AD servers themselves.

>> HTH

>> -Greg
GD> OK Greg, got it. I set up an lmhosts file on the flaky workstation to
GD> point to the PDC (looks like this):
GD> 192.168.1.17    servername#20
GD> 192.168.1.17    servername#1b

GD> which apparently tells Windows that the machine is a domain controller
GD> (the second line - the first tells windows it is a workstation). I was
GD> then able to re-add it to the domain, reboot and everything is working.

GD> I never needed this before, so I'm not sure why it is needed now, but
GD> for now, its running.

See my prior post. Your "fix" may perhaps "fix" the problem by making the symptoms go away - but you have a root problem with name resolution.

If you don't track it down and fix it now, you're likely to spend a lot of time fighting it later. [Unless it's something that's purely with this station - but, IMO, you don't know that with _any_ certainty at the moment.]

In short, beware of "cludges" that fix symtoms but leave root causes untouched.

-Greg

--
Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x82
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---