[Samba] SOLVED Re: Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Aug 26 16:37:44 MDT 2014

On 26/08/14 05:56 PM, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> Re: [Samba] Windows 7 Pro/64 unable to contact domain controller
>

> *GD> On 26/08/14 05:18 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

> domain
> contact the
> when I

> connect to

> connections).
>
> >> By DNS, do you mean that the clients are being pointed at the router
> >> as the DNS server ?, if so, then this could be your problem, the
> >> clients should be using the S4 AD DC as the DNS server. This would
> >> entail using either the internal dns server or bind9 with forwarders
> >> pointing the way out of the samba domain.
> GD> Except I'm running Samba 3.6.6 (Debian/Wheezy). The workstations get
> GD> their DNS from whatever DHCP hands out, which should be the router's
> GD> address. The router points to the Samba server for WINS. This seems to
> GD> be working to the extent that I can ping machines by name.

> >> Could be that this one machine could be the only one that is running
> >> correctly and the others are going to start following suit.
> GD> It's been almost 8 hours and so far it's just the one machine.
>

> *Active directory is completely dependent on DNS.
> [i.e. Nothing works, at least properly, without a proper DNS.]
>
> To do a domain join, it looks up the FQDN you supply to know which AD
> domain to join. [Short netbios names get around this, because they can
> get resolved without DNS.]
>
> For AD, the DHCP server should hand out the IP of the AD server(s) as
> what stations should use for DNS.
>
> The server can have a "forward" address where it will forward DNS
> queries that it doesn't know the answers to. [Namely, anything outside
> the AD domain.]
>
> So, in your situation, I suppose the following would work. (Though
> it's not optimal.)
>
> Stations get DHCP addresses and for DNS they point to the AD server.
> The AD Server is configured to look to the DLink router for any DNS
> addresses it doesn't know the answer to.
> [And then the router will go to whatever it's configured as for it's
> DNS queries.]
>
> (So probably omitting the router as a DNS source would be a good
> thing, even though it technically works.)
>
> If that isn't configured, then when you do any _non_ NETBIOS lookups,
> that involve the AD Domain, who the heck is going to provide the
> answers? Comcast, or OpenDNS isn't going to know about your internal
> AD server DNS information - the only thing(s) that knows that data is
> the AD servers themselves.
>
> HTH
>
> -Greg
OK Greg, got it. I set up an lmhosts file on the flaky workstation to
point to the PDC (looks like this):
192.168.1.17    servername#20
192.168.1.17    servername#1b

which apparently tells Windows that the machine is a domain controller
(the second line - the first tells windows it is a workstation). I was
then able to re-add it to the domain, reboot and everything is working.

I never needed this before, so I'm not sure why it is needed now, but
for now, its running.